Saturday 16 August 2014

GENEAMEME - NATIONAL FAMILY HISTORY MONTH









GENEAMEME - NATIONAL FAMILY HISTORY MONTH



My friend, Pauleen, alias cassmob, decided that we needed to be just a little busier for National Family History Month, so decided to set a geneameme for us...


 I'll thank her later ...









1. What are you doing for NFHM?

         Other than this geneameme, adding many more photos to my Irish Graves site and continuing with my other blogs and transcriptions.

           


2.       What do you hope to learn in NFHM?

          I'm always interested to see how others approach various subjects and how they look in different sources.

3. Do you research at a family or local history library?

         Not as often as I'd like to…

4. Do you do all your research online?
      
         No, some at libraries, a lot by reading and going through family documents, etc. and corresponding/talking with others. 

5. What’s your favourite place to store your family tree?
      
         Electronically, on Mac Family Tree, but I also use Family Tree Maker, minimal trees on Ancestry and lots of hard copies, as well as back ups on external drives and dvds/cds.

6. If offline, which genealogy program do you use? (do tell us its strengths/weaknesses if you like)

         See above… all have their strengths and weaknesses and all suit some better than others..  I like the reports and charts I can get from Mac Family Tree. I also use the mobile versions of MFT and Ancestry so I always have access to my data.

7. How do you preserve your family stories for future generations?
         
         By sharing hard copies with the few that are interested and also through my goopy-gatherers group, as well as social media.

8. Have you any special research projects on the go?

         Always :-) Other than my blogs, I am currently transcribing any Co Clare related family notices from Trove, I work with the Clare Roots Society as their Australian Diaspora Co ordinator and we are in the end stages of a project re the Clare involvement with the Papal Army in the 1800's…We have transcribed huge volumes of BDMs, most of which are available visa the Clare Library and the Ennis Cathedral site, Genealogy section.  http://www.ennisparish.com/genealogy/

9. What is your favourite family history research activity?

         Interaction with others and being able to guide those just starting, also writing and sharing.

10. What is your favourite family history research place/library etc?

         Queensland State Library, National Archives Qld…

11. What is your favourite website for genealogy research?

        TROVE ( Australia's digital newspapers and publications) followed closely by Clare Library

12. Are you part of a Facebook genealogy group? If so which one?

         Many, but I am an ADMIN for Co Clare Ireland genealogy and love the friendliness and knowledge that abound there, with so many willing to help each other.

13. Do you use webinars or podcasts for genealogy? Any tips?

        Rarely, I simply don't have time to do all.

14. Do you use social media? eg Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn

        Facebook re Q. 12, also in a smaller way, Google+

 15. What genealogy topic/class have you learnt the most from this year at a webinar/conference/seminar?

        None, family commitments, plus other groups such as the Brisbane BLarney Bunch Lunches as well as all above take my time…

16. Do you have a favourite research strategy to knock down your brick walls?

         Tenacity and revisiting those places I have been, you never know what has been added or what you may have overlooked.

17. Have you used DNA testing for your genealogy?

         No.

18. Have you made cousin connections through your DNA tests?

        No.

19. Do you have a wish list of topics for NFHM 2015?

        Not really, just wish Australia would keep and had kept all the census information collected. Then I hope that the Irish government would release more, particularly bring back the records recently withdrawn thanks to not thinking about privacy issues re the living.

20. What do you most love about your family history research?

         The chase, the discovery of previously unknown stories, of realising that no matter what generations we are looking at, we all have had similar problems and achievements and most do the best they can for the time. I also love discovering that others had similar talents, skills and interests to those we share today. Being able to place family events in time of world events combines my love of family as well as love of history… what's not to love? I also truly value the friendships of like minded people…



4 comments:

  1. I love your response to Q20 which takes up the strand of which traits we've inherited. You do so much for Clare genealogy that I'm surprised you have time for anything else ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm but one of many... we all have our passions and our other commitments, not easy to separate them at times, as you would well know, Pauleen...takes a busy person to recognise another. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ejoyed getting to know you more via this post and I learnt something as always - thanks for the Ennis link - I need to check that for Patrick Curry/ Corry - one of my convicts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jill...nice to know we can help each other to learn a little more. See how you go with Patrick and let me know if I can help.

      Delete

Thank you for dropping by. All comments are moderated before publication.